September 23, 1998.
Gomberg Walks Downtown.
Today, on Wednesday September 23, 1998 at 11 a.m. mayoralty candidate Tooker Gomberg will lead a media walk-about downtown. The event will begin on the south side of Jasper Avenue, at 99 Street, and will end up at City Hall.
“Downtown is the heart of the city” says Gomberg. “But the heart has been neglected, and it may be time for some radical surgery.”
“It is clear to me that one key to downtown revitalization is to make the downtown pleasant to walk around. I see enormous potential to pedestrianize the downtown core.”
Gomberg will focus on key elements of reviving downtown Edmonton:
- expanding the housing stock and attracting residents
- improving the infrastructure
- improving transit, and the installation of warm bus shelters
- extending and improving the Arts District
- extablishing downtown as the hub in a network of linear green parks
a.k.a. community greenways.
Gomberg will speak with three years experience as City Councillor representing downtown Ward Four. As well he sat on numerous downtown boards and committees such as the Edmonton Downtown Development Committee, the Downtown Plan Committee, and the Edmonton Public Library Board.